> What to buy?, Help Sor spend money!
Soresha
post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 11:35
Post #21

Board Member

Group: Order of Reclamation
Member No.: 169

The PC surgery is completed. Not too much trouble, only a few hiccups like:

"How the *bleep* do I get that old graphics card out, when the release catch is completely inaccessible underneath the card?" (Whoever came up with that design should be shot imo.)

"WTF... where's the power socket on this new hard drive? *quick bit of googling later* Oh okay it has a SATA power connector thingy then."

"Oh crap I don't have a spare SATA data cable to connect it with" *smile sweetly at boyfriend and ask him to drive me to the PC superstore*.

Yeah, could have been worse! wink.gif

So now for the results from testing in Vanguard:

GeForce 7900GTX => 8800GT. I turned up the texture setting from Medium-Low to Medium-High yesterday. Yep, it's prettier. smile.gif Actually the textures look a lot more 3D. The patterns on the wall aren't just flat patterns, they have grooves in them now. Groovy patterns! I tried turning it up to High, but as Knud predicted it slows the game down (internet speed or something he reckoned). Didn't seem to play any smoother after the card change though, and no increase in FPS either that I could be certain of.

Then this morning I moved the Vanguard installation to the new secondary SATA hard drive. Woooot!! Seriously less hitching now. Kudos to Arcat and tramsan hehe. Out in the countryside I can run around and spin the view on all axes and it's completely smooth. For the ultimate test however I took the riftway to New Targonor and galloped into the city, hitting sprint on the approach. Yeah I know, completely suicidal but what the hell. It was smooth on the slope down past the temple, but turned shaky in the Adventurer's Terrace and I had to stop just before the crafting area to let the poor PC catch up hehe. I think I made it further than I would have done before though. And once the initial loading was done, it was pretty smooth when running and turning around inside the city.

What I'm not seeing from these hardware changes is a significant increase in FPS. It's still reporting the same maximum of around 55-60 that I was seeing before. Ok maybe it was more like 50-60 before. However some people talk about getting 80 FPS (Knud, Monkee too?). How is that possible? My PC just will not go above 60, am I capped somehow? I've never seen it say 61. It's no big deal, but I'm curious about it if anyone has any possible answers.

Sor

This post has been edited by Soresha: Mon, Dec 24 2007, 15:41

--------------------

Telon: Ysora - Wood Elf Cartographer on Halgar
Istaria: Soresha - Ancient Helian Dragoness, reawakened on Chaos

Wiki Page: oor:soresha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arcat
post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 15:09
Post #22

Fletcher

Group: Admin
Member No.: 155

Grats on the successful operation!

About 60fps: Some games come with an upper FPS limit, straight XBOX conversions often have it at 24, Vanguard seems to be limited to 60. You can try to search for '60' in the config files and edit it to a higher value. If the game creates too much CPU time reset it back to the default value.

best,
Arcat

--------------------
Arcat - (Cleric 100, Warrior 100) - Live Stats (v2.1) | Resources | Need Armor?
Carpenter 100, Enchanter 100, Weaver 78, Fitter 41, Mason 22 - Gatherer 86, Miner 51
Alchemist 100, Fletcher 100, Outfitter 100, Tinkerer 37, Rest at 20+

Critter of Arcat - (Adult Dragon 37)
Dragon Crafter 53, Hoard ~5mio, Path of the Helian

8-Ball: Signs point to yes.

+Quote Post
Chaldor Itieles
post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 10:44
Post #23

Board Member

Group: Vanguard
Member No.: 262

the vgclient.ini has 2 entries for FPS:
MinDesiredFrameRate=35.000000
MaxDesiredFrameRate=100.000000
but if they are effective .. hmm ?

+Quote Post
tramsan
post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 13:14
Post #24

Board Member

Member No.: 188

You don't need any more FPS than 60 - the human eye can't see any difference between 60 and 600. Anything above is just wasting CPU cycles,

--------------------
"I get to pick nuts and berries, and run through the forest like a good little squirrel!"
- Countless squirrels, since the start of the Age of the Gifted

+Quote Post
Monkee
post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 18:13
Post #25

Mason

Member No.: 144

Hey!

Yeah im between 40 and 50 out hunting etc

20 ish around lots of players/towns

Pleased you got it all running smile.gif

Jiffy

--------------------
Adventure: Monk 100, Spiritist 100, Shaman 100, Cleric 100, Spearman 100, Conjuror 40

Craft: mason 100, blacksmith 100, jeweler 100, miner 100, fitter 100, carpenter 82, tinker 81, gatherer 76, weaver 52, spellcrafter 51, scholar 31, enchanter 16

+Quote Post
Joaqim
post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 02:43
Post #26

Board Member

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Soresha @ Mon, Dec 24 2007, 11:35) *
What I'm not seeing from these hardware changes is a significant increase in FPS. It's still reporting the same maximum of around 55-60 that I was seeing before. Ok maybe it was more like 50-60 before. However some people talk about getting 80 FPS (Knud, Monkee too?). How is that possible? My PC just will not go above 60, am I capped somehow? I've never seen it say 61. It's no big deal, but I'm curious about it if anyone has any possible answers.

Hmm 60 FPS - you got vsync enabled? Well 60 FPS (= 60 Hz) sounds a bit like the refresh rate of TFT screens which might be the limit if that thingie is enabled...

QUOTE (tramsan @ Tue, Dec 25 2007, 13:14) *
You don't need any more FPS than 60 - the human eye can't see any difference between 60 and 600. Anything above is just wasting CPU cycles,

Well you can't ever be l33d with values below 150 FPS in the game you are playing :b

--------------------

+Quote Post
Soresha
post Thu, Dec 27 2007, 13:24
Post #27

Board Member

Member No.: 169

hehe well it's just numbers, like I said I'm more curious than bothered about it. It plays pretty well, that's the important thing. smile.gif

Vert sync is off, but I did find this though in the vgclient.ini:

DesiredRefreshRate=60

And yes my monitor is fixed at 60Hz, so erm maybe I should just leave it alone then... wink.gif

--------------------

Telon: Ysora - Wood Elf Cartographer on Halgar
Istaria: Soresha - Ancient Helian Dragoness, reawakened on Chaos

Wiki Page: oor:soresha

+Quote Post
Hag
post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 18:44
Post #28

Board Member

Member No.: 261

I just ordered one of those brandnew ATI Radeon 3850 Graphic cards (for only 140 ).

Will see how it performs - and post in here. tongue.gif

--------------------
HAG: Kojan Monk of Dragon Style. Likes to skin his defeated enemies or reap defenseless plants.
HAGAN: Half-Giant and grimlooking Dread Knight. Crushes stones with pure hands and chops trees for physical fitness.

HAGS: Mining and Quarrying Dwarf always looking for shineys, which he stores in bank. Gripes whenever hag or hagan ask him for the preciouss.
SUKUBUS: Seductive-looking Female DarkElvian BloodMage. Born and educated for mere merchant's purposes in Hathor Zhi, though starting to oppose.
XEDOS: Female Kojani, nature-bound Druid. Thus unhappy to be be born and educated for mere merchant's purposes in stinking, noisy tanvu.

+Quote Post
Joaqim
post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 21:42
Post #29

Board Member

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Hag @ Tue, Jan 15 2008, 18:44) *
I just ordered one of those brandnew ATI Radeon 3850 Graphic cards (for only 140 ).

Will see how it performs - and post in here. tongue.gif

points at Hag...outsider! Using ATI card and AMD CPU :b

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hag
post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 23:27
Post #30

Board Member

Member No.: 261

QUOTE (Joaqim @ Tue, Jan 15 2008, 21:42) *
points at Hag...outsider! Using ATI card and AMD CPU :b

And proud of it! biggrin.gif

Always liked and supported the "Underdogs". Simple thinking: "Only dead fishes swim with the flow of the water."

--------------------
HAG: Kojan Monk of Dragon Style. Likes to skin his defeated enemies or reap defenseless plants.
HAGAN: Half-Giant and grimlooking Dread Knight. Crushes stones with pure hands and chops trees for physical fitness.

HAGS: Mining and Quarrying Dwarf always looking for shineys, which he stores in bank. Gripes whenever hag or hagan ask him for the preciouss.
SUKUBUS: Seductive-looking Female DarkElvian BloodMage. Born and educated for mere merchant's purposes in Hathor Zhi, though starting to oppose.
XEDOS: Female Kojani, nature-bound Druid. Thus unhappy to be be born and educated for mere merchant's purposes in stinking, noisy tanvu.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version | Default Theme | Dark Theme | Credits, Terms and Rules | Data Privacy / Datenschutzhinweis Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 17:37